Sunday, July 27, 2008

The gift

I found out about Randy Pausch (the man in the pix) via the ABC TV special in July. Its amazing how a stranger can emote you via the TV set. It made me think about where I am in terms of my childhood dreams. Frankly, I wasn't feeling so great before I watched the special. Afterwards, I was happy to be alive, and thankful to have "caught" him. Then again, there are no coincidences in life, no?

Below is a list of takeaways from Randy.
  • Decide early on if you are going to be Tigger or Eeyore. I used to be waffle between a shy wallflower and a sad dandelion. Glad to say that I am no more...
  • Tell the truth at all times. I used to admire people that shoot from their hips. You know who they are, the people that actually answer the question, "How are you?" truthfully. This is not to say that at times, the truth is still abrasively startling. Case in point, when someone doesn't sugarcoat the fact that you screwed up. I used to get beet red when people told me that I was bad. Look at this another way. When you screw up and nobody tells you, its a very bad thing
  • Brick walls are there to prove how hard we want something. Just because we have all been there, doesn't mean that we know what to do the next time. Hey. I never thought I was outgoing. But I guess that was all in my head
  • Experience is what you gain when you didn't get what you want. This one reminds me of the song, "You don't always get what you want, but you get what you need". I never asked to be injured. Its because of my injury, that I saw my own fallacies
  • If you wait long enough, people will surprise you. I never thought that I could face my managers and defend myself articulately when the cards are stacked against me. Now I know
I am humbled by the "hope" and "enthusiasm" that emanated from his voice despite his deteriorating health condition. Thank you, Randy, for the precious lessons.

No comments: