Friday, July 11, 2008

Road Trip

For 7/4, we decided on one of our favorite road trip hunts - LA/ Vegas. Which we did last year same time also, btw. LA for the first day, and the rest for Vegas. Boy, were we glad that we did that.

Traffic was crazy on the way down and on the way up. We spent 7 hours driving to LA. By the time we got there ~ 10:30PM, I was ready for bed, although I was starving. We ended up getting some groceries, since we had a microwave/ fridge in our hotel room. The best part about dinner was the vege platter, which we steamed. Yum!

Next day, we headed out for a Taiwanese breakfast, followed by Pinkberry and shopping at Marukai. I took advantage of the steller weather with a polka dot top and ruffled skirt. What shoes? My flip flops, of course.

We also visited the Huntington Beach Hyatt and surrounding beach, as we have heard so much about it. The place looked promising, but we didn't explore further due to the crowd (it was 7/4 after all). Due to my caffeine need, we ended up at Little Siagon, which was rather impressive. This was also where we got the orange sugar cane juice, which was rather comical. Then, off to Vegas.

We got to Vegas around ~10:30PM. Again, I was starving. Can't believe we didn't stop for snacks. Very unlike us. Think we were trying to avoid junk food or something. Anyhoo, a bit sad because our old food hunt has gone down, way down. They no longer accept credit cards and customer service sucked. We ended up at another Malaysian place, which sadly, was not any better. Determined to find a new place, we drove around the plaza and found 4 potential restaurants. Not to mention cheap gas! All in all, we were in good spirits.

Next day, we woke up ~ 3PM. Man, loved those hilton beds and pillows. We hung out in the room and watched cartoons while snacking on our Taiwanese leftovers. Reluctantly, we dragged ourselves out to the real world for some much needed sneakers. The cashier felt bad about her flirting with a really tall lad, so she threw in some additional discounts. I ended up paying 45% of what I thought the shoes cost. Flirt away, my lady is what I would say.

Then, we had dinner in one out of the four restaurants. This is when I realized that we have been to this place before. No matter because it was still good. We ordered a seabass claypot, walnut shrimp and veges. Then, we headed back to the hotel.

Before we headed home, I thought we should grab some food for the road. After waiting for our take out for 30 minutes at the dim sum place, I gave up and went to another restaurants. Finally, with some takeouts in tow, we left town and spent 1 hour in traffic just to get out of Vegas. This is when we realized that we were in trouble, as my bf has to go into work the next day and its 3PM and we are no where near home.

We ended up taking some massive detours, and got home at 1:30AM. Don't know how he got up in the morning. But I spent the rest of the day moving slowly through the house, unpacking and settling in.

All in all, a good trip with lots of driving and yummy food. Thanks to my bf for this wonderful trip, as he did all the driving and paid for this trip. For the first time in a long time, I was pain free for 3 whole days!

No comments: