Thursday, June 26, 2008

Who knew?

I went to my first behavior therapy/ biofeedback session on Monday. Didn't really know what to expect. Thought the doctor tell me to think positive, given that he diagnosed me with a minor bout of depression due to my work related injury.

Fortunately, the good doctor knew better. He taught me simple techniques.

1. Deep breathing, i.e. via your diaphragm. Apparently, this helps to increase blood flow and raise your body temperature. In 10 minutes, my temperature went up 3 degrees.

2. Hands-free on elliptical. Apparently, the swinging about motion are great for your arms. The balancing act is different as well.

3. Focusing on the present, and on one thing only. Such a shocking point of view for the self-professed multi-tasker.

4. Sucking in your tummy is good for building your core, or abdominal muscle. Okay, this came from my physical therapist. But still, what exciting piece of info! Try sucking in your tummy, doing deep breathing, and going hands-free on the elliptical. You get way more exercise than you thought.

My daily homework assignment consists of meditation with deep breathing, focusing on the present, and letting go of thoughts. Its only been two days, but I feel better. I did my meditation before going to sleep last night, which was not good. Why? Because I was more awake and alert afterwards. Who knew?

No comments: