Saturday, April 12, 2008

For better or worse

I have more tests and scans under my belt thanks to my injury. The most painful yet rewarding one has to be the nerve conduction study. The idea is that the technician "shocks" your nerves and muscles to see how they respond. Apparently, the muscles that control your mobility tend to respond more readily (hence hurt more).

The eeky part, however, is the one administered by an MD. This is the part in which the doctor inserts a long, thick needle into your muscle and then shocks it. And it ain't like an acupuncture needle, baby. Then, the MD exerts pressure on the needle and then proceeds to ask you to make certain movements. And I have nothing to dull the pain with. I love how the MD says, "You seem tense. Relax, okay?"

At one point, the MD asked me if I have diabetes or nerve issues because my muscles behaved as if I do. It turned out that my muscles are screwed up due to the "noises" in the background when I make movements. Why are they screwed up, you might ask? Because they are controlled by two of my vertebrae which are injured.

For the longest time, I felt like the kid who cried wolf. Finally, I have proof to support my doctor's diagnosis. So, who's to say that victory is not bittersweet?

No comments: