Thursday, August 28, 2008

Are you kidding me?

Besides recovering from my injury, I have also been dabbling in a little job search. Why little? Well, I just want to be careful, you see. Although I am much better than say four months ago, I am not back to my old self.

I had my first interview today for a visual design position with a major department store. Let's just say that it was a confidence booster. It was apparently a group interview. If that was not the worst, we were all looking for different positions. So the 1.5 hours consisted of basically hard selling from the company in a form doing "team exercises". It reminded me of being in a kindergarten classroom in a not so nice sort of way. Another nice touch is for the HR rep to say that the company is not here to babysit you, and then go over the no tolerance for integrity policy right after that. What a hoot.

So why was a confidence booster? I was over-qualified and over-prepared for the position. Which I didn't realize until I was in the room with my fellow interviewees. Its better than the other way around, I guess. I am not sure who this major department store will get to fill this position, as the compensation is barely above the minimum wage. Note to the HR rep, you may want to post the salary to set the expectations.

What a day.

No comments: