Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Beads and baubles

I have always been into accessories.

My first memory of delving into them would have to be when I was 8, and I would play with my mom's pendants while she was away. I was quite happy that I got to keep the sparklies at a later point in time.

The funny thing was, I never actually worn any of them, but just the mere act of admiring them made me smile. I still whip them out from time to time just for kicks and giggles.

As I began to have power over the purse strings, I begin to acquire them slowly. My store of choice changed through the years.

During my adolescent years, I was quite fond of Claire's. Actually, who wasn't? As it afforded us the fashion and bling at a reasonable price. Even for me, who had a monthly allowance of $20.

In my college years, my taste changed. Express became a favorite of mine. At that time, I wanted to be just like my youngest sister, Celia. Since she was into Express, I was into the store as well.

After I entered the working world, I diversified my interest. The seven month stint in Carlsbad introduced me to beading, and Esprit. I remembered that I had one pair of lucky earrings. They are lucky because I lost one of them, and they were my favorite at the time. Distraught, I went back to the scene of crime, but no luck. Then, my bf suggested that we just try one more time, and my word, there it was, my lone pretty laying on the garage floor. A bit flattened, as someone must have driven over them. But I loved it no less.

That was also the time when I picked up making jewelry. Think I was trying to fix a necklace at first, and then it dawned on me, I can make them as well. I was enamored with crystals, seed beads, you name it. I read beading magazines on my business flights, and frequented jewelry stores to study the intricate design. Even squeezed in a class or two at the local beading store. I would even make jewelry for my F & F.

Now, I buy as opposed to make jewelry due to my injury. Nordstrom is my new fave. But, I love my beads and baubles no less... and am thinking of creative ways in which I can play with them again soon.

No comments: